About the Director
Dr. Venu Govindaraju, SUNY Distinguished Professor of Computer Science and Engineering, is the founding director of the Center for Unified Biometrics and Sensors. He received his Bachelor’s degree with honors from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in 1986, and his Ph.D. from UB in 1992. His research focus is on machine learning and pattern recognition in the domains of Document Image Analysis and Biometrics.
Dr. Govindaraju has co-authored about 400 refereed scientific papers. His seminal work in handwriting recognition was at the core of the first handwritten address interpretation system used by the US Postal Service. He was also the prime technical lead responsible for technology transfer to the Postal Services in US, Australia, and UK. He has been a Principal or Co-Investigator of sponsored projects funded for about 65 million dollars. He has supervised the dissertations of 30 doctoral students. He has served on the editorial boards of premier journals such as the IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence and is currently the Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Biometrics Council Compendium.
NCI CBIIT Speaker Series: Handwriting RecognitionMonday, 20 November 2017 10:03
AI in Support of People and SocietyTuesday, 07 June 2016 00:00
IAPR/ICDAR Outstanding Achievements Award WinnerFriday, 04 March 2016 11:05
Dr. Govindaraju named NAI FellowTuesday, 15 December 2015 08:35
3059009979Tuesday, 15 December 2015 16:25
(843) 874-3106Tuesday, 15 December 2015 16:18
6179332068Tuesday, 15 December 2015 15:48
5799158575Sunday, 15 November 2015 00:00
Recent News Highlights
- [November 2016] Dr. Govindaraju is the recipient of UB's “Excellence in Graduate Student Mentoring Award.”! The award is given to a member of the UB Graduate Faculty for "truly outstanding and sustained support and development of graduate students from course completion through research and subsequent career placement." Congratulations Dr. Govindaraju!
- [August 2016] Congratulations to Devansh Arpit on the successful defense of his doctoral dissertation - Dr. Govindaraju's 35th PhD graduate.
- [September 2016] CUBS will be the secretariat for the 8th IEEE International Conference on Biometrics: Theory, Applications, and Systems (BTAS 2016)
[September 2016] Congratulations to Devansh Arpit, Chetan Ramaiah, and Venu Govindaraju for their publication "Subspace Learning via Low Rank Projections for Dimensionality Reduction" at the 8th IEEE International Conference on Biometrics: Theory, Applications, and Systems (BTAS 2016)
[August 28 - September 3, 2016] CUBS will be organizing the 5th International Program on Information Assurance and Management (For Information Security Executives of Banks and Financial Institutions)
[June 7, 2016]
Govindaraju postal research highlighted in Keynote by Eric Horvitz at CCC workshop on AI for Social Good
- [June 1-2, 2016] CUBS hosted the Spring Review Meeting of the NSF I/UCRC Center for Identification Technology Research (CITeR).
- [June 2016] Congratulations to Rohit Pandey and Venu Govindaraju for their publication "Deep Secure Encoding for Face Template Protection" at the 2016 CVPR Biometrics Workshop
- [June 2016] Congratulations to Devansh Arpit, Yingbo Zhou, Bhargava U. Kota, Hung Ngo, and Venu Govindaraju for their publications in the 33rd International Conference on Machine Learning.
- [May 31 2016] CUBS hosted the CITeR Challenge Problem Workshop on Border Security along with Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Canada Border Security Agency (CBSA) and the Center for Identification Technology Research (CITeR)
- [April 2016] Congratulations to Rathin R. Nair, Nishant Sankaran, Ifeoma Nwogu, and Venu Govindaraju for their publication "Understanding Line Plots Using Bayesian Network" at the 12th IAPR International Workshop on Document Analysis Systems.
- [December 15, 2015] 330-904-8783
- [June 18, 2015] 8103580142
- (419) 451-9932